Thursday, June 18, 2009

Theme Thursday - Roof

I went out collecting interesting roofs this week, wandering around looking for the perfect subjects. As you'll see, I have a preference for slate or cedar shingle roofs, and Victorian round towers. There are a lot of interesting roofs in Newport, and these are my favorites.

This first one is The Waves, at the end of Ledge Rd. on the point known as Land's End. It's on the Cliff Walk, so it's easy to look at from a variety of angles.









This house is along the dogleg end of Bellevue Ave. I love the towers and the copper ornamentation.












A Stick-style house on Rhode Island Ave., seen from the back on Everett St. I've always loved the varying stages of the roof-line on this house.











This is "Villino" on Red Cross Ave., built in 1882 and designed by Stanford White. It's always looked like a house from a Nathaniel Hawthorne story to me.







And this last house is a classic - the Katherine Prescott Wormeley House, 1876, at the corner of Red Cross and Old Beach Rd. It was designed by the famous Victorian architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White from New York, who designed many of the houses for the "400" on the East Coast of the US. We locals call this the "Turkish Delight" house, for obvious reasons!


I thought long and hard about this week's Theme Thursday video. I know so many people are thinking of "Up On the Roof", so I went a little further afield. It's not about roofs, but this song is certainly about being above all the mundane daily stuff - "Sittin' On Top of the World", by Cream at their 2005 reunion concert at the Royal Albert Hall. For me, this is a far superior version than the one on the original album, because Clapton plays a meaner, leaner, gutsier blues rendition here, pretty much abandoning the earlier "psychedelic" trappings and going right for the roots. Yeah! Slowhand!!!!



Photos & text © 2009 by A. Roy Hilbinger

22 comments:

  1. Roy, utterly fantastical collection of roofs! And even better video to boot :) I am awed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved those pictures. Can't even start to imagine the houses' inside!

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to see proof that Ginger Baker is not dead. (I've been arguing with people about that for over 30 years!)

    And Clapton's done so much great stuff, I'll even forgive him for "Cocaine," a song almost everyone loves... except myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful photos. A picture is truly worth a thousand words

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roy, i want to move to the land of the amazing roofs! such creativity! each one a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I waited with anticipation all week knowing you would share great views with us all.....Thank you thank you thank you......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the second one and the last one best. That first house and that last house...are they like 8 billion square feet big? Man those places are large...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful roofs! Bet they cost a mint to reshingle!!! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it possible to be jealous of people's roofs? Indeed it is. I love your pics, and excellent song by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, Roy, your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow! Okay. You get the prize for the most magnificent roofs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great song to pick and it fits. the photos of the Newport homes are reminiscent of elegant old money homes along the coast of Maine. I haven't yet visited Newport but i'll get there! Wonderful architectural designs by those firms. We have a number of Stanford White homes in the White Mtns. just read the new Evelyn Nesbit bio that's out. He was NOT a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's a nice place you live...i would love to wander the streets there, walking my pup...getting tangled in the leash staring at the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I don't comment on photographs much (not my bag), but I LOVE these roofs. I suspect I love architecture, I just didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your roofs are the "Cream" of the crop. Cream is one of my all time favorite bands and the roots of so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, double WOW - Roy where do you live! I thought you were an ageing hippy but you live among the rich and famous! These houses are amazing . .they look very expensive. Incredible diversity of design. Nothing, absolutely nothing like this out here! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you got some great roofs there in newport!! it's really nice to 'visit' your lovely town

    good song selection.... it was a stretch for me, all I could think of at first was the christmas song "up on the rooftops"

    i'm vaguely remembering that reunion tour, but obviously didn't go.... I (heart) cream and clapton!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ...I loved this post. Virginia slate roofs make me drool. you are so good at going out and finding the perfect photos.
    ......I liked that version better too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow what a contrast! Your super duper roofs of the rich to my meagre roofs in the old mining town of Wells BC.

    Loved them what a place you live in so much to see and shoot and experience! Lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  20. roy--loved the tour of the roofs--the turkish roof was my favorite--clapton clip was stellar--c

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Roy, I love Cream and especially this song. Your blog is quite intriguing and I'll definitely be back. Great pics, too. Come on over to Cajun Country, if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why, oh why don't they build 'em like this anymore?

    ReplyDelete