Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Hugging Trees in Ballard Park

In a walk through Ballard Park today I decided to take eye-level macro shots of some of my favorite trees in the park, sort of what your eyes would see if you were hugging a tree.

One of the Quaking Aspens in the grove in the quarry.


The Pin Oak that sits out by itself in the quarry.


One of the Norway Maples that hang over the Vernal Pond in the quarry.


A Black Cherry tree along the Valley Trail near the puddingstone boulder.


The big old Yew tree on the Valley Trail.

© 2010 by A. Roy Hilbinger

8 comments:

  1. Cool perspective! What do you suppose those white things are on the Cherry Tree?

    If I had to choose, I would hug the Yew Tree, kinda reminds me of chin stubble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your macros! They always remind me of that phrase, to "take time to smell the roses."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have macros of the bark around me - amazing how beautiful these old trees are. I especially like the Yew. Nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody! Three of these are trees I make a point of visiting/touching every time I'm in Ballard Park - the Aspen grove, the Pin Oak (I've been calling it my "Sacred Oak" for years now), and the Yew.

    Sophie, I suspect those are bug eggs or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous. I think my favorite is the black cherry. Nice shots, Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Top Tree Seems To Be Smiling As A Result Of Your Hug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang Roy! You're macros just keep getting better! I've som etres in mind but they'll have to wait 'til the latest storm blows over! Hunker down and stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. geez the skin on my hands is starting to look like the bark of pin oak..........

    ReplyDelete