Friday, March 04, 2011

Theme Thursday - Books


"Books constitute capital. A library book lasts as long as a house, for hundreds of years. It is not, then, an article of mere consumption but fairly of capital, and often in the case of professional men, setting out in life, it is their only capital. " - Thomas Jefferson

"A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting." - Henry David Thoreau

"When you are old and gray and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire, take down this book and slowly read, and dream of the soft look your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep." - William Butler Yeats

I first heard Simon and Garfunkels' album Bookends in the listening room of the library at Cockeysville Middle School back in 1969. Now whenever I see bookshelves I hear that "Old Friends/Bookends" medley that ends side one. Here are Paul and Artie performing it live.


Photo © 2011 by A. Roy Hilbinger
Check out this week's other Theme Thursday posts.

4 comments:

  1. S&G were my go-to dreamboats in high school. Happy March, Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!~ I want to browse through that bookshelf for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The care that went into the design and "creation" of the old books themselves -- as opposed to the writing which they contained -- was almost always so impressive. As much as I love the convenience of downloading old works, I'll always love the tangible, musty "old stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent quotes and music. Long live books!

    ReplyDelete