Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Star

The Star, #17 in the Tarot major trumps sequence, represents intuition, inspiration, insight, the creative spark, optimism, and hope. It's a very forward-looking card. I stuck fairly close to the traditional symbolism, although rather than having the central figure pouring water from a ewer into a body of water by starlight I had her sitting down reading and, with that look off into the distance, seeking inspiration.

The music for this one jumped up and shouted at me in its obviousness - Jiminy Cricket (actually singer Cliff Edwards) singing "When You Wish Upon a Star" from the Disney classic Pinocchio. Hmmmm... I wonder if ol' Walt was into the Tarot?


Artwork, photo, & text © 2011 by A. Roy Hilbinger

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh great question! I don't know much about it but I think tarot is fascinating. Great post!

    www.marleeindebt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, Roy. You did a great job on the figure. A foreshortened foot is sometimes hard to capture, but you've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice One Roy. I Love The Tarot, but (i suspect) Old Walt did not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that's one of my momma's favorite songs.

    I like the book instead of the ewer idea.

    ReplyDelete