Monday, February 27, 2012

A Different Route

Today I walked around the Mt. Rock Road/Rice Road area, another area full of Mennonite farms. I walked past an Amish school on Mt. Rock where the children were playing baseball. I didn't take a picture because the Amish don't like to have their pictures taken (they consider them "graven images" and thus a violation of the second commandment) and I decided to respect that a long time ago. But oh, I wish I could have gotten a shot of the little girls in their long dresses and bonnets and the boys in their plaid shirts and suspenders, all wearing baseball gloves and trotting around the field!

Still and all, I got some good shots. And the scenery being what it is around here this time of year, I decided to stay with the black & white somewhat aged look I've been going with lately. It works well with these shots.

The Cumberland Valley Co-op, on the railroad tracks at Mt. Rock Road.

A farm off Mt. Rock Road.

An Amish farm on Mt. Rock Road.

© 2012 by A. Roy Hilbinger

5 comments:

  1. Terrific shots, Roy. I would have loved to have seen the kids you mentioned, too, but I prefer that you respect their beliefs, which is totally in character for you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with you & Silver Fox: best to respect beliefs like that. Those are some beautiful photos--love the one of the co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description is so lush I can picture the children there. Love the sepia tones. Very apropos.

    That first photo is a knockout! Beautiful shapes and textures...

    ReplyDelete
  4. the sepia quality is great makes me feel like a time traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only you can make silos look attractive

    ReplyDelete