Tuesday, February 07, 2012

The Other Side of the Highway

Yesterday I went on a walk on the other side of I-81, close to the slopes of South Mountain. I took you here once before - last November in the walk on Peiper Rd. This time I started out on Peiper Rd. but then cut down Means Hollow Rd. and McCulloch Rd.; this is Mennonite farming country. Now, you might see a truck or an electric fence or a bright, shiny electrified cow barn in some of the pictures I got yesterday, but that's just because there are all kinds of Mennonites, from the buggy-driving, technology-shunning Amish to the more modern who drive minivans and pickup trucks. And they all find ways to get around the technology "rules" so that their non-Mennonite neighbor farmers don't leave them choking in their agribusiness dust.

With that caveat, here's my walk in Mennonite farming country, starting with South Mountain emerging from the morning mist and going on to the farms themselves. Enjoy!







© 2012 by A. Roy Hilbinger

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! You had a nice sunny day for this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a wonderful geometry to so many of those buildings, like mathematical diagrams dressed up in their Sunday best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photographs have me yearning to be back in Pennsylvania. I love the beautiful farmhouses and the functional no-nonsense barns. Nice to see a horse out there too.

    I could almost feel the warmth of the sun and the chill in the air.

    ReplyDelete