Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rainy Day Fun

Yup, that was the scene out my kitchen window this morning. So instead of tramping around town with the camera I had to find some indoor activities (besides flopping on the sofa and watching TV). I decided to play in Photoshop instead. So I took a self-portrait I shot yesterday and put it through some paces. And before anyone asks, yes, I shot this in the bathroom mirror, but I flipped it around so you could view it as if I were shooting you, faithful readers!

Here's the straight-ahead portrait processed in color...

... and here it is processed in b&w.

This is the split tone version.

On this one I used a Photoshop action called "Sketch" that I found online.

And here I am a la Richard Avedon. I created a duplicate layer from the background, inverted (i.e. made it into a color negative) the background layer and posterized it at level 4, posterized the duplicate layer uninverted at level 4, and blended the layers in the "pin lighting" in the layer blend menu. Then I merged the layers and used the hue slide bar to change the colors until I got what I liked. And there I am, the fifth Beatle.

And that was what I did today.

© 2012 by A. Roy Hilbinger

5 comments:

  1. Those were all fun, but I think I prefer the non-Photoshopped self portrait this time. (Although the one with the '60s look greatly appealed to me, too!) Always a pleasure to see whatever you come up with, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a great photo of you~ and I love it as an avatar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... we must be related. You have my nose - or I, yours.

    What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roy! You Do Yourself Justice! Excellent Self-Portrait.Have A Great Day Tomorrow .

    ReplyDelete