Thursday, October 18, 2012

Up On the Mountain

I hiked up to South Mountain yesterday, going up to Whitmer Rd., which is up the side of South Mountain a bit, running along the border of Michaux State Forest. I got there via one of my favorite hike routes, Peiper Rd. and McCulloch Rd., going up to the mountain on Baltimore Rd. and coming back on Airport Rd. I discovered that while Fall foliage is a bit spotty down here in the Cumberland Valley, up on the mountain the leaf color is going strong.

I took a lot of pictures, and 16 passed quality control. I'm only posting four here; check out the rest on my Picasa web album of the hike - they're well worth the visit! Meanwhile here are some scenes to whet your appetite: some barns on Baltimore Rd. with South Mountain in the background; Thompson Hollow Rd. at Whitmer Rd., which I was very tempted to wander down but didn't due to time considerations; an abandoned cabin on Whitmer Rd.; and some unusual yard decoration on Airport Rd. Enjoy!





© 2012 by A. Roy Hilbinger

1 comment:

  1. ROY....the last photo is fantastick (FANTASTICA ) bye Daniele

    ReplyDelete