Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Watch the Birdy!

Today was pretty chilly, and I actually needed my shooter's mittens while out on today's photo safari. [Note: For anyone who doesn't know what shooter's mittens are, they're fingerless gloves with a mitten flap over the fingers so you can keep your hands warm but quickly free your fingers when work needs to be done. They're ideal for photographers in cold weather, but were originally made for hunters in cold weather (hence the name).] I ended up in the Dykeman Springs nature complex again, and right off noticed that the cold weather had the birds active. There were lots of Cardinals, Blue Jays, various kinds of Sparrows, Carolina Wrens, etc. I also saw a Red-tailed Hawk being harassed by Crows and heard a Sharp-shinned Hawk back in the woods. The three shots below were of the ones who sat still enough for me two get a decent shot: two Carolina Wrens singing at me; a White-throated Sparrow who kept circling around me from tree to tree; and a juvenile female Downy Woodpecker who went about her business in that Sycamore tree and didn't seem to mind my presence at all. Enjoy!




© 2012 by A. Roy Hilbinger

4 comments:

  1. No comment.....only fantastic....beautifull
    Bye Daniele

    ReplyDelete
  2. they call the texting gloves, too! I have some...they are great!

    I just love that photo of the wrens singing their hearts out. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After examine a couple of of the weblog posts on your web site now, and I actually like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site record and will probably be checking again soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.
    DUI Risk Reduction Program in McDonough Ga
    DUI Risk Reduction Program in Henry County
    DUI Risk Reduction Program in Henry County Ga

    ReplyDelete