Sunday, March 08, 2015

Another Train

On the way to the grocery store today I stopped by the Dykeman Spring Nature Park duck ponds and was surprised to find some visitors there - a Canvasback drake, a Bufflehead drake, and a Scaup hen. Unfortunately the Canvasback was gone by the time I got out of the woods and close enough to photograph, and the shots of the Bufflehead and the Scaup just didn't work. Oh well...

Time was passing, so I headed up to the railroad tracks to take he shortest route to the grocery store, and my luck was in. A train! Yes, I have a thing about trains, not just as a mode of transportation (although I do prefer traveling by train over other modes), but also from a historical sense (trains have played such an important role in the building of the US) and for the fact that their abandoned tracks always lead to interesting places. So here's today's train.

The engine rounds the curve above the Dykeman Spring wetlands
It was a long train with a lot of cars
This car has been sidetracked for over a week now near the Baltimore Rd. overpass. According to a sign on the other side of the car, it's too tall to make it under some of the local underpasses. Oops!
This time I think I'll include a little train music. This tune is called "Puffin' Billy" by Edward White, and was used as the theme for a children's show on BBC radio; the title comes from a nickname for old trains in Great Britain. But if you grew up in the US in the '50s and '60s you'll recognize it as the theme song for Captain Kangaroo. 


Photos © 2015 by A. Roy Hilbinger

1 comment:

  1. Harry is here with me looking at your train. Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete