Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Farms, Fields, and Mountains

Yesterday I finally got to take a hike I'd mapped out a year ago but never got a chance to take due to weather and illness. When I decided to schedule my vacation time for this week one of the top things on my agenda was this walk through a part of the farm country on the other side of I-81 that I hadn't covered yet. The area I wanted to see was farther south and west from my usual routes, down Olde Scotland Road to Two Turn Road (don't you love that name?), over Two Turn to White Church Road, back up White Church Road to Mainsville, and then home. According to Google Maps that's 13 miles (21 km), much of it walking up and down the typical rolling hills of Central Pennsylvania, so by the time I made it back home I was tired and footsore. But oh what a gorgeous day for hiking it was! Lace up your boots and come see what I have for you.

A view of South Mountain from Olde Scotland Rd.
Feed corn, the ultimate reality of Central PA
Barn and silos on a hilltop farm along Two Turn Rd.
A view of South Mountain from Two Turn Rd.
A farm off White Church Rd.
An old farm on White Church Rd.
Approaching the village of Mainsville, with South Mountain in the background
© 2015 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

1 comment:

  1. ...gorgeous (love that stone house). It was a long hike! Did you catch any sparrows migrating through? I saw a Lincoln's Sparrow Saturday in Hocking Hills (southeast Ohio).

    ReplyDelete