Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Blizzard of '16

We finally got our first snow of the season, and it's a doozy! They're calling it Winter Storm Jonas, but in my mind it'll always be the Blizzard of 2016. There was definitely no going to work today, but I decided to try to go for a walk downtown later in the morning. Not my brightest idea! You couldn't tell from looking out the window, but once out on the porch I discovered how bad this storm was. Even on the porch it was drifting, but getting down the porch steps was tricky, and down at sidewalk level it was up to my thighs. After struggling through the snow to get to the semi-plowed street the walking was easier, but that was when I decided this would be a short walk. Not only was walking difficult because of the snow depth, but it was also snowing hard and the wind was blowing, adding to the difficult conditions. So I just went down to "The Square" (the intersection of King and Earl Streets) and back again. The several times I needed to get out of the street gave me an idea of how deep the snow was, and I figured it was around 20" (50 cm). That was at 10:00 am, and it's been snowing steadily since then (it's almost 4:00 pm now), often at a rate of 2" or 3" per hour! Yessir, this snow is gonna be around for a while!

The view out my kitchen window around 9:00 am
Stepping out on the front porch at 9:45
Down on The Square looking west down King St. at 10:00 am
Down on The Square looking east up King St.
The outdoor dining section at the Select Diner on The Square
Looking out my study window around 2:00 pm at the drift draping off my roof
My trash cans are buried! Another view out my study window
© 2016 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

3 comments:

  1. Wow.......I've seen that much snow built up over time, but never in one day! Stay warm...(we were on the edge of the snowstorm and only had a flurry).

    ReplyDelete