Friday, February 12, 2016

A Wintry Walk

I took my weekly walk to the grocery store through the Dykeman Spring Nature Park as usual today. There's still a good bit of snow around, and at least here in the park it still looks pretty, not being trampled on and driven over. Plus we've had several snow squall lines move through in the last week, laying down a new, albeit thin, new coat of white. And it's bone-chilling cold today and forecast to be even colder over the weekend, so nothing's melting.

This was also something of a celebratory walk. I bought a new camera with tax return money, and I needed to put it through its paces. This is essentially an update of my old faithful camera that was drowned in a cloudburst in November of 2013. I was very disappointed in the camera I replaced it with, which turned out to be nothing more than a glorified point-and-shoot. This new camera gets me back to using one of Canon's true "bridge" cameras, a point-and-shoot with DSLR function. So far I'm pleased. See what you think.

Homegrown Himalayas - snow piles in the parking lot at the ball fields
Looking across the wetland in the Dykeman Spring Nature Park
This poor Mallard was a Mink's breakfast this morning
The creek in the Dykeman Spring wetland
A view of the mountains to the north from the upland meadow in the park
© 2016 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes! I can see the difference. Truly, an excellent camera. Subtle colors such as the blue on the Mallard's wing against his gray body and the blood stands out, as does the play of light and shadow in the first photo and the interplay of gray and green in the second and fourth photo. The water in the fourth also seems as if it could move on the page. Of course, it isn't, but one imagines it might. Of the last photo, I love the subtle blue tones and the bold darker tree in the foreground.

    Minks need to eat, too.

    ReplyDelete