Thursday, March 17, 2016

This Morning's Walk

This morning I walked down Martin Ave., one of Shippensburg's back streets, to the Brookside Ave. wetland. I had intended to do a survey of Burd Run at both the wetland and at the streambed restoration area on Britton Rd., but I got a late start, and once I got to the wetland and walked around a bit it was time to get home for lunch. I was looking for signs of Spring again. I didn't see any blooms or leaves, but I saw and heard lots of Red-winged Blackbirds in the wetland, and noticed that the Canada Geese were pairing up for the mating season. Heh, heh! The geese were certainly making it known - VERY LOUDLY! - that my presence was not at all welcome. Anyhow, here are some shots from the walk.

An old, ivy-covered barn/garage on Martin St. I've passed this building many times, and I've even taken a least a dozen pictures of it, but this is the first time I got a shot I liked.
A juvenile Turkey Vulture, probably one of last year's hatchlings by the look
A Tree Swallow nesting box in the Brookside Ave. wetland. There were plenty of Tree Swallows darting around in the air, but the boxes are still empty; it's not quite nesting time yet.
A view of the collection pond in the Brookside Ave. wetland
© 2016 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

No comments:

Post a Comment