Saturday, October 29, 2016

Saturday in the Park

"Now Autumn's fire burns slowly along the woods and day by day the dead leaves fall and melt."
– William Allingham

I decided today was a good day to walk the whole of the Dykeman Spring Nature Park. The weather is perfect for this time of year and the sun was partially obscured by light clouds, so it wasn't too bright. Lots to look at while the leaves fall from the trees and things start to look a bit more bare.

A pair of Mallards floating on the creek
This Muscovy drake (a domestic breed) has been hanging around the duck ponds for over a week. The last two times I was there he rushed me and tried to bite me; luckily this time of year I wear jeans and big heavy knee-high socks, so his biting got him nowhere. Today I had my hiking stick with me, and either he's mellowed out or the hiking stick said "Don't even try it!" to him; he just sat under this tree and kept a wary eye on me.
Walking on the Upland Trail on the way to the meadow
Looking west over the upland meadow from its highest point
Autumn trees on the upland meadow
A flock of Eastern Bluebirds were flying about the fringes of the meadow. This was the best shot I could get.
Back down in the wetland on the way home, approaching the red bridge over the creek
The view from the bridge
© 2016 by A. Roy Hilbinger

No comments:

Post a Comment